[TUHS] Bell Labs CSTRs

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:14:30 AEST 2023

On a related note, I just read cstr 99 - Bell's computing research
history and one of Doug's early articles was mentioned:

M. D. McIlroy, "Macro Instruction Extension of Compiler Languages,"
Communications of the
ACM 3 (April 1960), pp. 214-220.

It's discussing the general extensibility that macros provide and I was
interested to obtain a copy to read at leisure. I found it over on ACM's
digital library:

https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/367177.367223

But, the copy's not that great on my deteriorating eyesight. Does
anybody have a cleaner copy?

Lately, I've been vastly improving my vi/vim skills and part of that
process is shifting from an ad-hoc process to a move, act, repeat
mentality (thank you Drew Neil for that revelation) and macros are
consonant with this line of thinking :).

Will