[TUHS] Unix V7 enblock.c

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 01:51:02 AEST 2023

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 at 10:45, KenUnix <ken.unix.guy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I am using enblock to create tap files from tar files.
>
> Was a program ever written to convert tap files to tar files or
> a Linux program that could read tap files?
>
> I also see that writing to a tap file from Unix the size increases
> when writing multiple files however when writing 1 file to the tap
> file "tar cv0 ..." the tap file still remains at its larger size from the
> previous larger writes. Is this what is expected?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Hi Ken,

Questions like this are probably better suited to the SIMH mailing list.
https://groups.io/g/simh

That being said, is there a reason you're bothering to convert to tap
format?  Modern versions of SIMH can do "attach [file] -f tar [device]" to
directly attach a tar file to a tape device.

-Henry