[TUHS] Any Bell 8-bit UNIX Efforts?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Mar 1 10:39:16 AEST 2023

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 10:31:59AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2023, Clem Cole wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > A bit later, Loer Zohlman wrote??BDS C,??which was pretty darned
> > good/fairly complete C implementation for the time; [...]
>
> I'm glad that you qualified it with "for the time"; I've used it, and
> calling it a "C compiler" was a bit of a stretch[*].  Later on I bought
> the Hi-Tech C compiler, and it was full ANSI, with function prototypes
> etc.

BDS C wasn't ANSI by any stretch but it was small, fast, and available
when everything else was slow (except Turbo Pascal, crazy fast, but,
um, Pascal.  'Nuf said).

While I had to relearn the stdio lib for real C, I did not find it
hard at all to switch back and forth and I wrote a ton of useful
stuff in BDS C.  Super grateful to have had it.