[TUHS] IBM RT/PC compilers [was Re: Any Bell 8-bit UNIX Efforts?

Charles H. Sauer sauer at technologists.com
Wed Mar 1 13:02:17 AEST 2023

> On Feb 28, 2023, at 8:35 PM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 9:07 PM Ronald Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> At least it didn’t come with a prayer book like the Metalware compiler (which really needed all the divine intervention that it could get).
>
> Was that the one that shipped with the IBM RT?  Is it just my
> imagination or did some of the error messages contain biblical
> references?
>
>        - Dan C.

It may be that Metaware was available for AIX on the RT, but, if so, not bundled with AIX. AIX 1 releases bundled a fairly vanilla pcc as provided by ISC. AIX 2 releases bundled pcc with the HCR optimization phase added. I’m not sure about AIX 3 and beyond, since I left before they were released. The “strategic” plan was a reimplementation of the PL.8 compiler as a C compiler with the work done by an IBM group in Toronto. I suspect that was extra cost option and that pcc with HCR was still bundled in the base. I have the impression that AOS (BSD for RT) eventually also included the HCR phase. See https://notes.technologists.com/notes/2017/03/08/lets-start-at-the-very-beginning-801-romp-rtpc-aix-versions/ for more context. CHS

--
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com <mailto:sauer at technologists.com>
fax: +1.512.346.5240         web: https://technologists.com/sauer/ <http://technologists.com/sauer/>