[TUHS] Unix Systems Administration Texts

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Mar 1 18:34:22 AEST 2023

I liked the book by Tom Limoncelli & Christine Hogan. Limoncelli went on to write more books.

I’ve got a copy of Garfield & Spafford, "Practical UNIX and Internet Security", but I don’t know what the Cool Kids use these days.
Security is something you need to do all the time and stay current with… It’s a constant battle with no end, something I didn’t want to devote my life to.

Evi Nemeth taught a course in Sys Admin & maybe had a group/dept as well.
The book came out of the course - undergrads had to do prac work, put in ‘hours’.

The Book ’the standard’ for Admins I knew for many years.

Nemeth et al built “sudo” to solve the “give limited privileges to undergrads” problem. [ Implementing a "Capability-based” kernel & tools may have been a better solution ]
It was a good enough design and spread widely.
I never used it’s full feature set, never in an environment that needed it.

However, the University of Colorado Boulder environment was much larger in some ways than any I worked in and met very different needs.
They had to cope with many students printing jobs, resetting passwords, filling up disk quotas, email queues and more - with an admin group staffed mainly by undergrads, I believe.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin