[TUHS] Unix Systems Administration Texts

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Mar 1 19:03:25 AEST 2023

Dan,

I used the Nemeth book when I didn’t know how to do the odd thing or finding a tool,
	but the book was predicated on a very specific Academic environment.

You can see why she’d suggest making tools reliable, robust and ‘complete’ (done ‘properly’)
in their environment with a large, constantly changing workforce, kids all too prone to ‘exploring’ things
or breaking something and then not knowing what to do…

From 1995, I spent around a decade doing contract SysAdmin.
The well run, well staffed and “no drama” sites never needed me :)

I got “parachuted behind enemy lines”, having to fight my way out,
so many times that I discovered I had a process for “Digging myself Out”

	<https://stevej-on-it.blogspot.com/2007/06/digging-out-turning-around-challenged.html>

The key is to gain time by automating tasks, starting with what gains the most time for you,
not business or managerial priorities.

There’s at least three levels of script / tool,
I thought were all covered in that Bill Plauger PDF recently but aren’t:
	<https://indico.cern.ch/event/318305/attachments/612388/842557/PJPlauger-ITSeminar-Fifty_years.pdf>

	1. Stuff for yourself.

	2. A "Program Product" for a small, competent group.

	3. A hardened product / Application that the unwashed masses will use and test to destruction.

As a lone Sys Admin it’s incumbent on you to leverage the Automation under your control, not drown in entropy.

If you do Admin in seriously large sites, eg AWS or GOOG, practices have to be adapted to avoid outages - any outage will have massive impact.

At Internet Scale, the only methodology that can work is:

	 "systems are cattle not pets”- create tools that easily scale to the entire fleet & are particularly robust & reliable.

Admins can’t be allowed to ever type at a production console - much more controlled than the old Boulder Uni environment.

HTH
sj

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design