[TUHS] Unix v7 icheck dup problem

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Thu Mar 2 02:57:01 AEST 2023

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 10:09:05AM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> To do it, you need to i) understand how the FS works (see:
>
>   https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V6/usr/man/man5/fs.5
>
> but it's pretty simple); ii) understand what the few tools (dcheck; icheck;
> clri) do; iii) dive in.

In honor of dcheck, icheck, and clri, when I creating debugfs(8) for
ext2/ext3/ext4 file system, I implemented the dcheck, icheck, and clri
commands.

I've been known to use them (and other debugfs commands) from time to
time when someone needs emergency data recovery (say, someone who has
ten years of Ph.D. research without ever doing backups, and then the
file system get scrambled --- although some have argued that if
someone doesn't do backups of their research data, maybe they don't
*deserve* to get their Ph.D.  :-)

						- Ted