[TUHS] I can't drive 55: "GOTO considered harmful" 55th anniversary

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Fri Mar 10 09:18:07 AEST 2023

GOTO is one of those paradoxical things where I would only trust the most sophisticated engineer to know when it's acceptable to use a GOTO but on the flip side would be suspicious of anyone claiming to be an engineer that uses any amount of GOTOs...

Were any of the various GOTOs in languages ever meant to be any more than providing the same level of control that branch statements in assembly do?  Was there ever some vision anyone's aware of concerning a sophisticated, dependable use of GOTOs?  Since my first days poking around learning C GOTO has been mentally filed away as an assembly vestige for folks in transition, not a dependable construct in its own right.  Any alternative camps out there?

- Matt G.