[TUHS] scaling on TCP socket connections

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:23:40 AEST 2023

Ca. 1981, if memory serves, having even small numbers of TCP connections
was not common.

I was told at some point that Sun used UDP for NFS for that reason. It was
a reasonably big deal when we started to move to TCP for NFS ca 1990 (my
memory of the date -- I know I did it on my own for SunOS as an experiment
when I worked at the SRC -- it seemed to come into general use about that
time).

What kind of numbers for TCP connections would be reasonable in 1980, 90,
2000, 2010?

I sort of think I know, but I sort of think I'm probably wrong.