[TUHS] I can't drive 55: "GOTO considered harmful" 55th anniversary

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Mar 10 21:51:45 AEST 2023

    > From: Warner Losh

    > for breaking out of multiple levels of while/for loops.

Yeah, multi-level 'breaks' were one of the things I really missed in C.

The other was BCPL's 'VALOF/RESULTIS'. Back before C compilers got good
enough to do inline substitutions of small procedures (making macros with
arguments less useful), it would have been nice to have, for macros that
wanted to return something. Instead, one had to stand on one's head and use a
'(cond ? ret1 : ret2 )' of some form.

       Noel