[TUHS] I can't drive 55: "GOTO considered harmful" 55th anniversary

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Mar 13 13:25:53 AEST 2023

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 7:40 AM Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is certainly a shame that modern compiler writers have become
> essentially hostile to programmers in their pursuit of ever more aggressive
> optimizations based on rigid readings of the standard, common sense be
> damned.

Not at all.  It is clear that mainstream C and C++ compilers optimize for
the features most important to mainstream C and C++ programmers, which are:

1) Execution speed.

2) Execution speed.

3) I lied; there is no 3.

If those are not your priorities, use a non-mainstream compiler or a
different programming language.