[TUHS] virtual consoles / Alt-Fx

Derek Fawcus via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Wed Mar 15 02:42:09 AEST 2023

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 11:24:24AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> The virtual consoles using the function keys predate Linux and 386BSD by a
> number of years.  I used them only early x86 Unix ports to the IBM PC such
> as Xenix.

I'm pretty sure that the 386 version of ISC UNIX I used on a PC in the '88/89
timeframe had them.  I vaguely recall it having a more awkward key sequence
than Linux for switching between consoles.

Here we go:
  https://virtuallyfun.com/2010/02/09/fun-with-interactive-unix/

"On a text console side, the OS has virtual consoles switchable via SYSRQ + F key. Console is on F8."

DF