[TUHS] UNIX System V Release 2.2 gdts Vax-780

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Mar 15 18:05:10 AEST 2023

jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa) wrote:

>     > From: Ken Unix
>
>     > I have mknod but need the (c,b) major/minor numbers for /dev/lp
>
> It looks like SysV still has conf.c; you're looking for 'cdevsw'.
>
>    Noel

To be more explicit, you need to find the index in cdevsw of the lp
device.  You will then want to run

	mknod c <index> 0 /dev/lp  # I think that's the right argument order

That is, 'c' for character device, major device is the index in cdevsw,
and minor device indicates which physical one to use. Since you only
have one, it should be 0.

If the above is not correct, someone will correct me, I'm sure. :-)

HTH,

Arnold