[TUHS] UNIX System V Release 2.2 gdts Vax-780

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Thu Mar 16 09:44:00 AEST 2023

Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:

[snip]

> The successor code base of OpenIndiana which forked from OpenSolaris which
> was System Vr4 plus a bunch... And that's open... illumos is still using
> that for its distribution... They'd have been totally dead, imho, were it
> not for OpenZFS using illumos for so long as the reference platform (that's
> changed, so now Linux and FreeBSD are the reference platforms, though one
> of those two is more equal than the other).

[snip]

SmartOS uses Illumos as upstream and was used by Joyent Inc. until last
year when Joyent sold that part of the buiness to MNX.  It is a very
real thing being used as a cloud container like OS.  See
https://www.tritondatacenter.com/smartos for more info...  The last
$DAYJOB I had for a pretty big retail company used it for its private,
in house cloud.  It is all open source, as it is based upon OpenSolaris
(SVR4ish) at its core but it has been mentioned that isn't quite SVR2
for the Vax.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org