[TUHS] UNIX System V Release 2.2 gdts Vax-780

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Mar 16 10:29:06 AEST 2023

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023, 5:42 PM Luther Johnson <luther at makerlisp.com> wrote:

> I think the real risk is not measured in dollars, but potential damage to
> reputations, ill will, the perception that it's not legal or kosher, etc.

Yea. However, there could be novel, perhaps untested, legal theories one
could use in this circumstance. THE LAW often times isn't cut and died like
engineering.

In this case one could likely argue fair use because the purpose is
educational and only a small portion of the source is ever disclosed at any
time. One look no further than google books to see this working out. They
won cases with similar broad stroke outlines, though they had the resources
to win...

My earlier analysis was more on the worst case financial side of things.

> I completely understand this well-founded caution.

As do I, to be honest.

However if anyone was interested in approaching the license holders and
> seeing if licenses could be obtained or purchased, I'm interested in that.

Yea. Only way I see that working is buying the rights outright... I suspect
too few licenses would be sold to recoup even a modest amount of effort it
would take. I'd bet it would only be a modest sum at this point..

Warner