[TUHS] Reply-To and Mail-Followup-To (was: Re: UNIX System V Release 2.2 gdts Vax-780)

G. Branden Robinson g.branden.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:30:06 AEST 2023

At 2023-03-17T14:17:34+1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2023, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > [replying only to list]
>
> Short of replying to the sender alone, is there any other way to reply?

Apparently there is; reply-all seems to have become the norm over the
past 20 years.  I used to rail against it but I gave up.  Now it seems
some people (mainly younger people, perhaps) regard it as rude if I
_don't_ CC them on mailing replies.  Maybe they fear being ignored or
circumvented in decision processes.

> I get annoyed by people blindly using "Reply to all" and are too lazy
> to edit the recipient list; I will see my own copy, after all...

Years ago, the header "Mail-Followup-To" was developed as a convention
to get this under control.[1]  Maybe because the maintainers of GMail,
Outlook, and other web email portals that provided spam filtering
services, found themselves with better things to do than support it, we
arrived where we are today.  :(

Regards,
Branden

[1] https://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html