[TUHS] NetBSD turns 30

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Mar 22 03:13:50 AEST 2023

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023, 4:39 PM Jan Schaumann via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 30 years ago today on March 21st, 1993 at around
> 09:45:37 UTC, NetBSD was born!
>
> I believe this makes NetBSD the oldest,
> still-maintained and actively developed, free and open
> source descendant of the Berkeley Software
> Distribution (BSD), a true genetic Unix (albeit not
> small-caps UNIX nor UNIX(tm)).

2.11BSD is older and continuous... but admittedly much less so than NetBSD.
It was released in 1991 and has had almost 500 patches, the latest in the
last year. It traces back to 2.9BSD released in 1983. But it still is
basically only on the pdp-11...

Warner

If you want to see what the source tree looked like