[TUHS] Bell Foreign-Language UNIX Efforts

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Mar 22 12:25:26 AEST 2023

The brilliance of UTF-8 was to encode ASCII as is.  That seems obvious in
retrospect but as Rob says, the multibyte crud in C89 was just awful,
and that was the answer at the time.  Fitting ASCII in as is meant
that all of the Unix utilities, sed, grep, awk, etc, had close to no
performance hit if you were processing ascii.  That's pretty cool when
you get that and you can process Japanese et al as well.

I kind of cringe when I say it is brilliant to not break what exists
already, to me, that's just part of what you do as an engineer.  But
history has shown that not breaking stuff, fitting the new into the
old, is brilliant.  So kudos to Rob and Ken for doing that (but truth
be told, I'd be stunned if they didn't, they are great engineers).

--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat