[TUHS] Offering UNIX Doc Scanning/Archival Again

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Tue Mar 28 02:19:26 AEST 2023

Good morning all, just emailing to notify that I'm once again in a position to work on scanning documents and the like, so want to throw out the offer of performing any scanning/archival gratis for materials relevant to TUHS and the broader UNIX picture.  Included in this is I'll happily pay the shipping to and fro.

My setup is very simple, consisting of a CanoScan LiDE 100 over USB into my Raspberry Pi running SANE and ImageMagick.  The former handles the scans obviously and then the results are reduced by ImageMagick into a PDF, cropping overscan in the process.  I tend to favor 300dpi as a compromise between quality and size, as I've found that the archive.org OCR can do a good job with this.  That said, if you particularly want a given DPI or scan quality, that is adjustable within the capabilities of the scanner.  I'd probably still reduce the size for archive.org but could initially sample at a higher rate and send you the resulting PDFs on a CD-ROM/USB stick.  Similarly, if for some reason the material can be scanned but can't be archived anywhere else (legal reasons, etc.) I can provide physical media in the return package, with the understanding that I absolutely would keep this stuff in a time capsule for some later date.  If you only want scanning, no archival, sorry, that I'm not willing to do for free.

Anywho, short of anything new coming in, this is what I've got on my current plate:

- UNIX Release 4.0 Text Editing and Phototypesetting Starter Package
- UNIX Release 4.1 3B20 User's Manual
- UNIX Release 5.0 User's Manual BTL Edition
- UNIX System V Support Tools Guide
- UNIX System V Document Processing Guide
- UNIX System V Release 2.0 User's Manual BTL Edition

Of these, the first two are already archived in some fashion, these physical books just haven't been scanned.  For the two BTL manuals, these are the extant SysV and SVR2 manuals with extra pages to represent things commonly found on BTL computers of the time (WWB, Basic-16 SGS, site-specific bits to PY, HO, IH, CB, and a few others.)  Finally, the other two SysV docs are just successors to the Documents for UNIX papers, slightly reformatted and updated for SysV.  Also I eventually want to *ROFF-ize anything that obviously came from typesetter sources, so like I did with the 4.1 manual, some of these may get the *ROFF treatment first, with scanning to occur on a day with nastier weather.  All that to say, anything I receive obviously trumps this list in priority.  Thanks all!

- Matt G.