[TUHS] The Gnome and Its "Secret Place"

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Tue May 9 23:31:52 AEST 2023

On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 11:51 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> <snip>
>     "When you type to UNIX, a gnome deep in the system is gathering your characters and saving them in a secret place."
> <snip>

I love whimsical things like this. Reminds me of an odd story I heard
about Seymour Cray:

Asked what were the secrets of his success, Cray said "Well, we have
elves here, and they help me". Cray subsequently showed his visitor a
tunnel he had built under his house, explaining that when he reached
an impasse in his computer design, he would retire to the tunnel to
dig. "While I'm digging in the tunnel, the elves will often come to me
with solutions to my problem", he said.
[http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~toby/writing/PCW/cray.htm]