[TUHS] BSTJ 1978 UNIX Issue Price Appreciation

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Fri May 12 04:01:53 AEST 2023

One thing I will say is the pricing I see on some of this stuff on eBay, Biblio, etc. implies to me the fact that much of this old documentation is available as PDFs in various corners of the internet has not really phased the pricing on the collectors market.

I'm glad I haven't run into the same problems I used to encounter in video game prototype research. There've been pretty nasty flame wars in those communities over the years regarding preservation diminishing the value of unique video game artifacts sitting collecting dust in someone's closet. Sometimes you'd get in a bidding war with someone that literally derives from their desire to specifically see the item in question kept as obscured from public knowledge as possible, just so they can claim the superiority of owning it or bank on selling it later. Shockingly, a singular, unique physical item is still going to be sought even if the data or information it contains is known.

But I digress, I must appreciate the cordiality of folks with regards to this research stuff. I can't say I've had anyone come complaining to me that something I documented tanked their cartridge-based retirement fund...

- Matt G.