[TUHS] Unix install & "standalone" package

emanuel stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Tue Sep 5 00:53:09 AEST 2023

On 2023-09-04 05:57, Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS wrote:

> Recently, I was looking into the “Das U-Boot” boot loader package. Summarised with great simplification, u-boot bundles device drivers, file systems, commands and a Bourne-like shell into a standalone package. Normally it auto-runs a script that brings up a system, but when used in interactive mode it allows a great deal of poking around.

U-Boot has his roots in embedded systems, where you have a nice
environment to debug your system. You have already everything there to
download files with s-record from serial, boot from tftp, etc.

Actually also setting up the memory controllers, timing, setting
environment variables ...

This became so comfortable, that sometimes the U-Boot code is larger
than the target system. So, after development is done, the system jumps
into the real application or code ...