[TUHS] Unix install & "standalone" package

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Sep 6 03:03:52 AEST 2023

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 5:15 AM Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> > Does that answer the prompt? Should I try to make this into more of a
> retrospective paper and actually
> > do the research on the areas I was hand-wavy about?
>
> That certainly answered the prompt, much appreciated the walkthrough.
> Currently just trying to get a view of the field and to collect
> recollections on how it was done back in the day.
>
> Part of it is finding a conceptual framework that can make sense of it all.

Yes. V7 and other early unix had a 'stand alone' framework. So that's one
piece of the puzzle. It could be used for anything (I've seen private
diagnostic stand alone programs at Solbourne that would do more extensive
tests than the boot roms did for RMA and manufacturing line acceptance).
But as they come down to us from AT&T, they are just the bits needed to
install a system from scratch (or in some cases fix a system by booting the
distribution tapes).

> One pitfall I would like to avoid in my own thinking is conflating
> “installing” and “booting”, even though the two seem related (one loads
> bits into permanent storage, the other into volatile storage; both are
> built around incrementally adding capability). When variable hardware comes
> into play, the two mix even more. Also related is the topic of recovery.

There's "booting" and then there's "bootstrapping". booting happens all the
time, but installation happens rarely. The problem is that the install
process for V7 and earlier systems was to load a series of programs into
memory from tape that did each step of the process to stay within the 64k
limits imposed by the platform. That process was done by a series of
standalone programs that could, in some cases, act as system repair for
certain cases of 'afu' system.

> The starting point seems to be a setup where a small set of standalone
> programs is used to load or repair the bits, as was done for 16-bit unix.

Yea, that's where stand came from originally: An environment that could run
a limited program w/o booting the kernel...

> A next conceptual step seems to be where first a very basic system is
> installed that is then used for further installation or for repair. This
> step seems to have come early, if this 32V install page is reflective of
> how it was done back in 1980:
> https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_32V_on_SIMH  The idea to use disk
> swap space for this also seems to have come early (and I suppose the
> concept lives on in “rescue partitions”).

Yes. It was quite common for the next step to be when demand paging became
a thing. Once demand paging became a thing and you didn't need a dedicated
swap partition, you could 'borrow' the installed system's swap partition
(or what would become the installed system's swap partition) to have a
richer set of tools. This would use otherwise wasted space for the install,
then you'd overwrite it with whatever workload you put on your system.

> Another conceptual step might be where early installer phases run a
> different, smaller kernel (or even OS) than the one being installed. There
> seems to be much potential for a “wheel of reincarnation” here where as an
> installer grows large, a pre-installer is created to load the installer and
> then the pre-installer grows large, etc. For booting, this wheel seems to
> have turned about 5 times in current Linux. Installing that from scratch on
> a fully blank SBC (without prepping a removable disk on another computer)
> also appears to have 4 or 5 revolutions. That is one revolution every 5
> years for the 25 years from the late seventies to the early 2000’s.

Indeed, the whole linuxboot saga where you boot a minimal linux kernel that
has a shell script (or similar) that decides where to load the complete
kernel from is also interesting (doubly so to me because it means I can
sneak in at that point and load FreeBSD onto the system).

> Then there is the question of where in the "installer stack" to stop. My
> current interest excludes (precursors to) package managers, containers, etc.

Yes. For me, the 'preboot environment' is a better mental framework to look
at it with. Or 'pre-kernel' or 'non-kernel' environments. Though that
paradigm runs out of steam in the 90s when people started booting kernels
with bundled ram disks (in various flavors) to do the installation to allow
boot medium to be used to load additional data (eg the system). The
read/write nature of RAM made this vector useful, even when CDROMs appeared
on the scene. It was easier to run off a ram disk than off the CDROM
because you don't have to have symlinks to a (small) RAM disks for the bits
of the system that needed to be read/write during the install process...

The 'standalone' stuff, as typified by the src/stand directory, was all
pre-kernel or non-kernel use-cases. Sometimes it was used to build a bit of
code that had to be small, but was also used to build code to load the
kernel (even dating back to the original boot loader for V7, though I'm
relying on my memory which may be confusing that with the 2BSD
bootstrap)... The stuff that was 'standalone-but-on-a-unix-kernel' came
later.

It might also be amusing to note: I once contemplated porting V7 unix to
replace FreeBSD's stand environment to replace the various ad-hock hacks
that had grown up. But I found that those hacks were smaller in the end,
and needed less code space to support more things (excluding crypto and
compression) than the V7 did once you started looking at modifying it to
support multiple filesystem types, adding a network stack etc. While V7 is
nice and clean, it's also immature in terms of features needed for a modern
loader...

Warner