[TUHS] The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Sun Sep 17 03:52:38 AEST 2023

On 9/14/23 20:48, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net> wrote:
>
> Is it being merged into the Gnu awk ...
> Also mentioned is that the code is already in gawk's master
> branch and that I will make a release in the fall, I hope.
>
>> ... that will wind up in Red Hat awk?
>> Please please?
> I have no control over that. Sorry.  However, gawk is easy to
> build and install from tarball, or if you're desperate, directly
> from Git.  Be in touch privately if you want more info.

This is wonderful news. Red Hat uses GNU awk, so it seems likely it will
(eventually) appear there.

I'm aware I could compile it myself, but this is for a professional use
on the systems running a power grid, and even if I were to take the leap
to install an open source version instead of the official RHEL awk,
there are government regulations making that a bad idea.

Thanks,

     Mary Ann