[TUHS] x/y/zmodem on Unix

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue Sep 19 12:04:12 AEST 2023

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 07:07:25PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:

> xmodem lives on in a lot of embedded applications because of its
> overall simplicity. We used it to bootstrap kernels onto Oxide
> computers, for example, while we were doing active development.

Today, KDE's Konsole terminal window has a "ZModem upload" function,
which I've used for sending a file up to some system where the
administrator on the remote machine has disabled scp and sftp for
random security $REASONS.

I could compress the file and use uuencode/uudecode, but for larger
files where cut and paste isn't terribly convenient, using zmodem can
be one of the simpler and more effective.

						- Ted