[TUHS] 32V filesystem images to verify code against.

Jacob Moody moody at posixcafe.org
Sat Feb 10 04:11:25 AEST 2024

Hello TUHS,

I recently have been working on the Plan 9 fs/v6fs and fs/v32fs programs,
another member of the community had noticed bugs within them and I wanted
to verify that the new code is working as expected. I haven't had an issue
verifying v6fs using files from the TUHS archive but v32fs has proved to
be a bit more tricky. After a little bit of work we were able to get the 'file2'
located at https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/USDL/32V/ to mount and read
files. But given that all the files here are binaries it was a bit hard to make sure
we're getting the correct information. I attempted to cross reference the files I get
against the file2.tar also located within that spot in the archive but I am getting tar
errors when extracting this file, so its not exactly obvious if what I am checking against
is correct.

So I would like to ask if someone here knows exactly what the sha1sums of these files are
supposed to be and/or has another image with known contents I could test against. I will
preface this with the fact that I am not very well versed in old UNIX filesystems so
please let me know if I've missed anything.

Thank you,
Jacob Moody