[TUHS] Question about BSD disklabel history

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 06:30:25 AEST 2024

On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 2:50 PM Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 2:00 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Yea, I have a memory of the Sun 3 (68k) machines having a different ROM than the Sun 4 (sparc) machines in the late 80s/early 90s with similar interfaces, but the Sun 3's being simpler. Maybe I just worked with older Sun 3's that didn't have a newer OpenFirmware.
>
> Sun 3/50 and Sun 3/60 definitely had a different PROM arrangement than
> SPARCstations. However, I have a vague memory that the Sun 3/80 used
> OpenFirmware. The 3/80 (and similar Sun-3x machines introduced at the
> same time) would have been among the last, if not the last,
> MC68k-based Sun3 machine. I may be wrong, though; it's been a while.
> Regardless, I vaguely remember the "ok" prompt on a 3/80.

Hmm: correcting myself here. I can find no evidence that the 3/80 used
OBP, but I can find documentation to the contrary (mostly in the form
of documentation on how to rewrite the HostID when the NVRAM battery
fails...Gah, the things one not only forgets but actively blots out of
one's memory). It seems likely that Sun never shipped OF on 68k.

        - Dan C.