[TUHS] 1998 UNIX RTR Reference Manual (And Other 5ESS-2000/3B20D Stuff)

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Fri Jan 5 10:55:59 AEST 2024

Got some exciting stuff in the mail today, and for once it isn't going to amount to sitting in front of a scanner for hours:

https://archive.org/details/5ess-switch-dk5e-cd-1999-05

After the link is the April/May 1999 issue of the 5ESS-Switch DK5E-CD, a collection of documents and schematics concerning the 5ESS-2000 variant of the 5ESS switch, as supported at the time by Lucent-Bell Labs.  Of particular UNIX interest is the following:

https://ia601200.us.archive.org/view_archive.php?archive=/12/items/5ess-switch-dk5e-cd-1999-05/5ESS-DK5E.zip&file=5EDOCS%2F93447.PDF

This is the November 1998 issue of the 5ESS-2000 Switch UNIX RTR Operating System Reference Manual (235-700-200, Issue 7.00).  From the text it appears to be a descendant of the standard UNIX literature, although it only contains the intro, basic info, section 1, as well as a section on administration as well as an EMACS paper.  It alludes to a more complete manual although I have not located that in this document collection (granted I'm busy on a work thing right now, just taking the time to upload and spread the word ATM.)

There's probably plenty of other relevant stuff in there, plus plenty of content regarding the 5ESS and 3B20D generally.  These CDs were included with a paper binder of installation and identification info.  The binder appears to be largely for training programs and I have yet to verify whether its contents are included in these CDs or the two supplement each other.  Either way, this should present plenty of leads on more potential sources of 5ESS, 3B20D, and maybe UNIX RTR stuff.  Unfortunately the discs only seem to contain documents, there wasn't the holy grail of a snapshot of UNIX RTR in there that I was kinda hoping might be bumping around.  Thus the hunt for 3B20 UNIX continues...

- Matt G.

P.S. This is a bit more modern than what I've been dealing with generally, hopefully given the current state of 5ESS and Nokia-Bell Labs seeming to be winding things down, that means this isn't a problem to have put up.  I just urge caution on any use of this stuff that even remotely smells of commercial activities, but I probably don't have to tell anyone that.  Just covering my bases.