[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual?

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Sat Jan 6 09:19:15 AEST 2024

On Friday, January 5th, 2024 at 2:17 PM, Mychaela Falconia <falcon at freecalypso.org> wrote:

> Hello fellow lovers of old UNIX,
>
> Would anyone happen to have a raster scan (not OCR) of the original
> printing of UNIX Programmer's Manual, 7th edition? Does such a thing
> exist?
>
> M~

I'm not aware of any existing scans. I do, however, have on hand for about one more day a nearly original V7 manual set, both volumes, that I'm fairly certain were used with 4.1BSD, as they also include Vol 2C (albeit the rest of Vol 2 is one volume, no actual 2A 2B split, dunno how that plays in.)  Additionally, the Volume 1 has some changes, mostly additions like the RAND editor, I'm pretty sure od(1) was the only base page replaced.  I mention I have access to this for a day because I'm quite tardy on mailing these to Jacob Ritorto, another list member, and I don't want to keep kicking the can down the road, already delayed a few times.

In any case, there's a second Volume 2 binder, also V7, that I donated to the bookshelf in the compsci lounge of the local university, I can always go check that back out and take any scans that would help.  Would just be Volume 2 stuff but that represents much more typographical variety.

I additionally have an almost complete Usenix 4.2BSD set, just missing the Programmer's Reference Guide, so if you're interested in any visual inspections between the two, happy to sit down at my desk with the magnifying glass tonight and see if I can help out with what you're working on.

- Matt G.