[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual?

Mychaela Falconia falcon at freecalypso.org
Sat Jan 6 16:12:44 AEST 2024

Hi Matt,

> Whew.  I'm tapped out.

Thank you very much for this very awesome work you just did!

> Goodness gracious did the situation lead to a little rabbit hole
> with the USG/PWB line:

Someone else (whoever is more interested in this line) will have to
thank you for this portion of the work, but the parts I am happiest
for are these:

> The V7 and 4.2BSD pages are closer than the V7 and V7 HRW Revised edition.
> [...]
> The V7 and 4.2BSD material appears to originate from the same plate,
> although the V7 and V7 revised are noticeably different.  For instance,
> note the change in size of the blot square.

Thank you for confirming all of my hypotheses here!  Thus it appears
that:

1) 1983 HRW version of V7 manual is not "the real thing", instead that
   Holy Original status belongs to the ringed binder version;

2) All non-Berkeley supplementary docs in 4.2BSD Usenix print are from
   the same plates as Holy Original V7 docs, thus the scans uploaded
   to archive.org by Ms. Erica Fischer can serve as a perfect reference
   for exactly how those Holy Original docs looked, for those of us
   who don't have a physical copy of that Holy Original to look at.

Once again, thank you very much for this very awesome work!

M~