[TUHS] V10 monk program

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Thu Jan 11 18:51:31 AEST 2024

Hi All.

V10 had a program called "monk" which was a "document compiler".
It produced troff and know how to run eqn, tbl, and pic and I'm
guessing also refer. It seems to have been inspired by Scribe.

The V10 files from Dan Cross have the device independent troff output
for the paper that describes monk.

G. Branden Robinson was kind enough to turn it into PostScript for me;
his story is below, forwarded by permission. I'm also attaching
the PostScript file.

I'm curious, did this see a lot of use inside Research or outside of it?
At first glance, it looks like the kind of thing that might have
caught on, especially for people who weren't already used to troff.

Thanks,

Arnold