[TUHS] regex early discussions

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 22:05:23 AEST 2024

Hi Arnold,

> I learned regular expressions from Kernighan & Plauger's book
> "Software Tools".  I was exposed to that book, Unix (v6 on a PDP-11)
> and C programming (via K&R's book) all at the same time.  This was in
> the fall of 1980.

An excellent book.  What I think you've not mentioned is that it
implements regular expressions.  Being inside the black box can aid
understanding, including the performance of the matcher and the way the
regexp is best written for a particular matcher.

Kernighan and Pike's ‘The practice of programming’ also briefly
implements some regexp functionality when talking about the power of
notation.

--
Cheers, Ralph.