[TUHS] Honor declined

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Mar 7 07:45:11 AEST 2024

On Wednesday, March 6th, 2024 at 11:53 AM, Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> After Multics, I ran interference to keep our once-burned higher management from frowning too much on further operating-system research.
>
> Doug

This alone is an all-too-valuable skill that contributes to the cultural success of countless projects.  Great ideas can too often die on the vine when the upper echelons have quite different opinions of where time and effort should be placed, and I am glad that in my own career I likewise work with understanding immediate supervisors and business analysts that go to bat for our needs and concerns.  The importance of a supportive workplace culture in which work is genuinely valued and defended cannot be understated.

- Matt G.