[TUHS] who was that unmasked man

William H. Mitchell whm at msweng.com
Sat Mar 9 05:23:39 AEST 2024

A story that Steve Zimmerman once told--and I can’t remember if in-person at a Usenix, on a mailing list, or on Usenet--was that on some Chinese restaurant menu he found this item: "Sliced Children with Tomato Sauce".  (Note: "children", not "chicken"!)  For fun, Zimmerman tried to order it, asking to be sure it was in fact sliced children, not sliced chicken.  The waiter carefully explained it was a typo, became very apologetic for disappointing him, etc. :)

Every once in a while I look for that post but I’ve never found it.  I wonder if anybody else from the recalls it from the 80s.

Google says, 'No results found for "sliced children with tomato sauce".'

FWIW, Here’s a search that turns up a few things related to CCA Emacs: https://groups.google.com/g/net.emacs/search?q=steve%20zimmerman%20cca%20emacs

My recollection is that Zimmerman passed away while relatively young, but hopefully I’m wrong.  I didn’t find him on LinkedIn just now.