[TUHS] FreeBSD kernel not OK?

Alexis flexibeast at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 10:16:33 AEST 2024

Michael Huff <mphuff at gmail.com> writes:

> I thought most desktops (specifically Xfce, GNOME, KDE) required
> Wayland and SystemD these days?  Wouldn't that rule out *BSD?

i'm not a user of any of those three myself, but as far as i'm
aware, none of those three currently require Wayland. But GNOME is
certainly pushing people towards use of Mutter (the GNOME Wayland
compositor), while:

> It is not clear yet which Xfce release will target a complete
> Xfce Wayland transition (or if such a transition will happen at
> all). Below is a list of larger tasks which would need to be
> done in some way for such a transition to occur.
-- https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

In terms of Wayland on *BSDs, there's active work being done to
get the Wayland ecosystem working on OpenBSD:

   "Towards running a Wayland Compositor on OpenBSD"
   --
   https://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon2023-matthieu-wayland-openbsd.pdf

The author of that talk, Matthieu Herrb, is an X dev:

   https://www.x.org/wiki/MatthieuHerrb/

Alexis.