[TUHS] Might Have a DMERT SCSI Disk, Need Help Preserving

Erik E. Fair fair-tuhs at netbsd.org
Sat Mar 9 14:22:21 AEST 2024

A storage device data recovery service that has been around since 1985:

"Drive Savers"

https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-services/devices-supported/external-drive-data-recovery/

I have never used their services myself, but they advertised handling SCSI drives back in the day, and given their business, I doubt they throw away outmoded gear - can't hurt to call 'em and ask.

I tried that imgur.com link and got a 404 - no image there.

An Ultra320 SCSI drive should have either a 68-pin or 80-pin SCA connector on the back, and will be "low voltage differential" (LVD) - an Ultra80 or Ultra160 SCSI controller should be able to talk to that, i.e., the drive should be able to negotiate the link speed with the controller and downgrade appropriately. I might be able to cobble something together from the junk I keep too much of to try and read the drive if it will spin up and talk, but an outfit like Drive Savers will be much better equipped than I am.

This might also be a job for the restoration folks at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA.

	Erik Fair