[TUHS] SunOS 4 in 2024

Alexis flexibeast at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 10:44:45 AEST 2024

Henry Bent <henry.r.bent at gmail.com> writes:

> Now, I find that there is a fragmentation happening. There are
> those
> of us
> who still cling to mailing lists - like this one! - and those
> who
> are
> willing to navigate the realms of increasingly compartmentalized
> other
> forms of community, Discord included. The fact that there is not
> recognized central repository of unpaid support for a product,
> like
> sun-managers, I find to be frustrating.

i basically agree. i won't dwell on this too much further because
recognise that i'm going off-topic, list-wise, but:

i think part of the problem is related to different people having
different preferences around the interfaces they want/need for
discussions. What's happened is that - for reasons i feel are
typically due to a lock-in-oriented business model - many
discussion
systems don't provide different interfaces/'views' to the same
underlying discussions. Which results in one community on platform
X,
another community on platform Y, another community on platform Z
.... Whereas, for example, the 'Rocksolid Light' BBS/forum
software
provides a Web-based interface to an underlying NNTP-based system,
such that people can use their NNTP clients to engage in forum
discussions. i wish this sort of approach was more common.

Alexis.