[TUHS] The Mark Williams Company and Coherent

Heinz Lycklama heinz at osta.com
Fri Mar 15 15:16:02 AEST 2024

Interesting little history about Coherent. They were
one of a few companies building UNIX-like systems
from scratch without using UNIX source code in the
early 1980's. Robert Schwartz represented the Mark
Williams Company on the /usr/group standards
effort resulting in the /usr/group Standard in 1984.
Robert was very insistent that members of the
/usr/group standards group did not have to be
UNIX source licensees.

Heinz