[TUHS] 386 PCC

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Sun Mar 24 12:00:36 AEST 2024

On Saturday, March 23rd, 2024 at 5:13 PM, Jason Stevens <jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:

> I'd been on this whole rabbithole exploration thing of those MIT PCC 8086
> uploads that have been on the site & on bitsavers, it had me wondering is
> there any version of PCC that targeted the 386?
>
> While rebuilding all the 8086 port stuff, and MIT PC/IP was fun, it'd be
> kind of interesting to see if anything that ancient could be forced to work
> with a DOS Extender..
>
> I know there was the Anders Magnusson one in 2007, although the site is now
> offline. But surely there must have been another one between 1988/2007?
>
> Thanks!

A cursory glance at the SVR4/386 SGS reveals some pcc fingerprints in the compiler bits at /usr/src/cmd/sgs/cg

For instance the machine-dependent bits are shunted off to files including local.c and local2.c, within these files exist similar entrypoints like lineid and zzzcode and arrays like rnames and ccbranches.  This is comparing with the version of pcc in V7.  I wasn't there so can't speak with authority but it does look like there is still pcc DNA as of SVR4/386.  Looking a bit further forward, this compiler seems to still be in use as of 1997's UnixWare aka "SVR5".

- Matt G.