[TUHS] Research Ninth Edition Manual (V1) Found

Douglas McIlroy via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Oct 1 12:03:24 AEST 2026


>  I don't think any version of [v9] is currently preserved.

I have a complete set of all volumes and printed forms of all
editions; see https://mcilroy.cs.dartmouth.edu/UnixManuals.jpg. If any
other needs copying, I could lend it out for the purpose.

>  I wouldn't be surprised if volume two wasn't physically published

Correct. The only editions with a second volume were v6, v7, anf v10.

Doug
Editor, v7-v10.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 7:46 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> Exciting news, I managed to run down a physical copy of volume one of
> the Ninth Edition Programmer's Manual.  I don't think any version of
> this is currently preserved, so I'll try and get it on my scan docket
> once I've got my new RISC-V machine all stable.  Unfortunately it is
> just volume one, although given the relative lack of distribution, I
> wouldn't be surprised if volume two wasn't physically published, but I
> can't rule that out entirely.
>
> Anywho, it is thicker than the Tenth Edition I've also got sitting here,
> but I haven't had a chance to thumb through the indices to get a feel
> for what the delta is.  An exciting find nonetheless!
>
> In the meantime until I get this scanned, happy to entertain any
> questions on contents.  A question myself:
>
> What would the reach of V9 have materially been in the late 80s vs. V8
> and V10 around it?  The only artifacts from V9 I'm aware of are
> contained in the archive from the batterpudding collection. It seems V9
> is pretty darn obscure in the grand scheme of things, so I find myself
> curious what the likelihood of something a little closer to virgin BTL
> tapes popping up actually is vs. trying to get hands on backup tapes or
> images from running systems being used in BTL between 86-89.
>
> - Matt G.


More information about the TUHS mailing list