[TUHS] Research Ninth Edition Manual (V1) Found
segaloco via TUHS
tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Oct 1 15:58:47 AEST 2026
On Wednesday, September 30th, 2026 at 19:18, Brantley Coile via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:
> My Ninth Edition looks even more smudgy. My collection started with the Sixth Edition, which is still knocking around here somewhere.
I feel quite fortunate to have come across all the things that I have.
The comb-bound Eighth Edition manual is now the only research edition in
my particular timeframe of study I haven't landed a copy of. In
addition that range, I've managed to land a smattering of other USG,
PWB, and CB line stuff, some of which is scanned, some of which I have
on the docket.
I think one of my favorite things is I can pull just about any of the
manuals from my bookshelf and learn something new that is still
applicable to this day. This speaks not only to the stability and
insight in the system, but also the quality of the documentation. Folks
to this day can still learn to use UNIX in the words of ken, dmr, bwk,
and so on, at the very least in the genealogy of the current POSIX
specification and C standards.
If anyone's got bookshelf space, get yourself a hardcopy UNIX manual.
V7 is a nice start, although you can often times find System III,
System V, and BSD manuals on eBay. Just to disclaim I don't resell
anything I get on eBay so I'm not invested in manual sales there aside
from my own combing for lost works, but there are often copies of
things I see which I already have and think, gee, I know a bunch of
folks who might appreciate that. Just be nice and scan anything
unpreserved if you don't let me get it :)
- Matt G.
More information about the TUHS
mailing list