[TUHS] v6 basic did graphics?

Will Senn via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Mon Sep 14 09:44:58 AEST 2026


Will wonders never cease? I learned today that bas, v6's basic did 
graphics on a vt01 connected via another pdp-11/20. I thought, if they 
could do it back in the day, why not today :). So, after a bit of AI 
enhanced learning and some tweaks to simh, I got it working as a v6vt 
endpoint leveraging simh's existing code for display.

The post: https://decuser.github.io/posts/v6-basic-with-graphics/

This is the bottom line result in v6:

# bas
10 erase
20 draw .2 .2 0
30 draw .8 .2 1
40 draw .8 .8 1
50 draw .2 .8 1
60 draw .2 .2 1
70 draw .35 .5 0
80 display "UNIX V6 BASIC"
90 done
run

UNIX V6 BASIC in PDP-11 V6VT - NG Display Window


For me it was just, wow! now, I can do graphics in v6, who'd of thunk it.

Later,

Will


More information about the TUHS mailing list