[TUHS] emacs

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Aug 4 10:53:46 AEST 2023

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023, 6:44 PM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> http://wiki.c2.com/?TecoEditor
>
> Cantrell’s teco was pretty fast and used a lot less resources than any of
> the Unix EMACS invocations.  Gosling / CMU EMACS showed up in 81 on the Vax
> and is where mocklisp came from.   Zimmerman EMACS may have been earlier at
> MIT but Steve sold it to CCA so it was not nearly as widespread. Noel may
> know more. We got a license from CCA in ‘84 and shipped it on the Masscomp
> systems.
>
> Rms did like a number things gosling did and start to rewrite it.  (The
> defaults were different from ITS was one of his issues). He released his
> version around 85. FWIW:   There is still some bad blood wrt to that whole
> path best I can tell.

RMS started with Gosling's emacs, did a half-hearted rewrite by evolving
that code and claimed it all as his. Gosling was understandably upset by
this and made him stop. The release notes from the early teens of releases
document some of the drama. The last thing was the screen code and was
still a sticking point even after the rewrite... a lot happened on mailing
lists too, but I've not found those archives..

The ill will was well earned...

Warner

I think there were a couple of others.