[TUHS] Bell COBOL Environment?

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Fri Jul 14 11:05:08 AEST 2023

…

> Since that transition often involved change in enough other aspects of an operation, moving to UNIX with the same COBOL applications just wasn't the path to success for most folks,

I think that’s fair, and certainly true of the COBOL system I knew (late 80s).

For us, a move to Unix would have been a complete re-architect, re-code, and replacement of basically all hardware.   3270 terminals, LU6.2 networking, CICS transaction monitor, ISAM datasets, all the batch jobs and their JCL, to say nothing of the two (redundant) 3090’s and the sea of DASD, monster printers, etc.  The retraining or replacement of staff would have been overwhelming as well.

The closest I could get was writing some CICS transactions in C, but it wasn’t worth the uphill battle.

The only solution was to be acquired by a more modern company and throw the lot out!