[TUHS] Bell COBOL Environment?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jul 14 11:45:42 AEST 2023

Below

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 6:36 PM segaloco <segaloco at protonmail.com> wrote:

> The conclusion I'm coming to from what has been said thus far is that
> people who were moving from COBOL and the mainframe world to UNIX didn't
> have as much of a need for COBOL.  Since that transition often involved
> change in enough other aspects of an operation, moving to UNIX with the
> same COBOL applications just wasn't the path to success for most folks, as
> opposed to folks deeply invested in FORTRAN.  Would that be a fair
> characterization?

Yes. That was certainly my experience.

> Thanks for the feedback by the way, one of the matters I'm trying to suss
> out is what a typical COBOL environment on UNIX would've looked like back
> when, and what it sounds like is a COBOL environment on UNIX was anything
> but typical.

I think that is fair.  There were likely multiple reasons why that path
started must likely because Unix was rooted in the CS research and the
engineering communities which was pretty far from what traditional
production Business/COBOL shops did at the time.  By the time business
folks started to notice Unix other economic changes had appeared also such
as firms like SAP/BAAN/Oracle, plus Im not sure the big8 in those days
could spell Unix so business folks didn’t have a reason to pay attention.

Clem

> - Matt G.

Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual