[TUHS] The Mark Williams Company and Coherent

Marc Rochkind mrochkind at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 00:10:31 AEST 2024

I have already posted this in another thread (on non-BTL C compilers), but
it's more relevant here. My 1985 review of Coherent for BYTE Magazine:

https://www.mrochkind.com/mrochkind/docs/Byte-Pick-Coherent-Theos.pdf

I see that I went into some detail. For example:

"Of the 77 requests in the Version 7 nroff. only 31 are present in Coherent
(the most useful 31. however)."

And this, although I'm sure there were incompatibilities I didn't uncover:

"Coherent has all the Version 7 system calls except nice (which sets a
process's priority). and they seem to be used in the same way. It should be
easy to port C programs between Coherent and UNIX Version 7."

On the whole my review was very positive.

Marc

--
*My new email address is mrochkind at gmail.com <mrochkind at gmail.com>*