[TUHS] The Mark Williams Company and Coherent

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sat Mar 16 01:42:00 AEST 2024

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 08:10:31AM -0600, Marc Rochkind wrote:
> I have already posted this in another thread (on non-BTL C compilers), but
> it's more relevant here. My 1985 review of Coherent for BYTE Magazine:
>
> https://www.mrochkind.com/mrochkind/docs/Byte-Pick-Coherent-Theos.pdf

It's interesting that it says that $495 for Coherent was a good deal.
(That's over $1700 in 2024 dollars.)  On the other hand, in 1984, the
New York Times reported that IBM had "cut the price of the PC/XT" to
$2,520 for a machine with 256k RAM, a single disk drive, and a
monochrome display.  (That's over $7400 in 2024 dollars.)

It's amazing how much hardware and software has gotten cheaper in the
past four decades!

					- Ted