Moving shoebox to sparcstation

Len Evens len at schur.math.nwu.edu
Fri Aug 10 06:49:48 AEST 1990

I have tried to connect an old shoebox (with a disk drive and tape drive)
to a sparcstation 1 SCSI port and have encountered problems.  The shoebox
had been connected to a Sun 3/110.   The sparcstation has two disks  sd0
and sd1.   As best I can tell, the jumper on the adaptec board in the
shoebox  was set correctly for sd2.  Also, I believe it had the proer
termnating resistor in place (but that doesn't really seem to matter
much.)   In booting, I get error messages like the following.

vmunix: esp0:  unexpected data phase
.
.
.
vmunix: esp0:  identify msg 80 from 1.0
vmunix: esp0:  Status get fails:function incomplete
vmunix:        Stat=0x13<XZERO,CD,IO>, Intr=0x10<BUS>
vmunix: sd1:   SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

I thought there might be some conflict with sd1 and sd2, so I tried
removing sd2 from the kernel, but I got similar messages but without the
sd1 stuff (I think).

Does anyone recognize any of this or has anyone successfuly gotten a
shoebox to work on a sparcstation?

Leonard Evens                      len at math.nwu.edu
Department of Mathematics
Northwestern University