Moving shoebox to sparcstation

G. Mussar bnrgate!bcars53!mussar at uunet.uu.net
Wed Aug 15 04:10:22 AEST 1990

We have gotten shoeboxes running off a Sparc. You must be careful about
the SCSI addresses assigned. In your kernel the various disks (sd0, sd1,
etc.) are assigned to different drives. Bits 3-5 of the drive value
represent the SCSI address of the SCSI controller. Bits 0-2 represent the
LUN (logical Unit Number) of the drive within the SCSI controller. The
error you got is the same type of error I've gotten when two SCSI
controllers are configured at the same address. You should examine the
internal drives of the Sparc to determine which SCSI addresses they use,
then set the shoebox SCSI controller to be at a different address. You
must make sure that the kernel has a disk (sd?) defined for the SCSI
address. You should make sure that the /etc/format.dat file contains the
disk (sd?) in its path, otherwise you will have some difficulties
formating the drive. Hope this helps.  --