Sun IPC

david at ics.com david at ics.com
Sat Aug 11 01:47:14 AEST 1990

I just saw the Sun IPC for the first time at Siggraph; it's very nice,
despite the unfortunate overloaded name choice.  The color monitor appears
large enough to work with.  The Sun salesman mentioned that the GX card
will work with the IPC, but it is not offered as an option. The card
alone, however, is expensive enough to make an SS1+/GX possibly a better
choice. The processor is the one in the SS1+.

I wasn't able, though, to get an answer on the RAM capacity from him or
from my local sales guy. The spec sheet mentions that the IPC comes with
8MB and is expandable to 12MB with 1MB SIMMs and 24MB with 4MB SIMMs.
There are three banks of four slots. It seems that these numbers assume
that the original 8MB of 1MB SIMMs are kept and that a single bank of 1MB
or 4MB is added.

Do you expect that I could replace the original two banks of 1MB SIMMs
with 4MB SIMMs and have 48MB or replace one bank and have 36MB?

(In general, on the SPARC systems, can one replace the first bank of 4MB
with four 4MB SIMMs?)

I am considering this machine as an alternative for use in developing an
application which currently runs on an SS1 with two banks of 1MB and two
banks of 4MB and need to ensure that I won't be limited.

Thanks in advance.

PS: thanks also to the folks who responded to my question on the
capabilities of the 4/330. It does appear that it won't be able to satisfy
our needs for long, and we will look elsewhere.